Tuesday, May 24, 2011

To Phone or Not to Phone

Roby will be waiting to talk to Mimi!
We have had house guests the last two days but one of our guests really isn't a guest...our son, Paul who knows a lot about computer "stuff". So I pressed him into service to make sure my Skype is current on the iphone and to add it to my new ipad. Of course there is the choice to buy a phone in Italy and use it while there but it seems Skype is best. Plus I can have a real, video visit with Roby, our precious granddaughter, and others while I'm away. I have added phone numbers to the contacts but I'm hoping any friends who have the appropriate camera and Skype account will email me and I'll be able to video chat with them as well.


Also Paul did some "magic" to the iphone so I won't get email on the phone and have to pay for those transmissions. I will still get email on the ipad when I'm in a WiFi area. Honestly, I don't totally understand all this hocus pocus but I trust Paul! I understand that texting is very inexpensive but I don't text. Another option is to purchase an international calling plan from your phone service provider but "free" to another Skype account works for me and the per minute Skype rates are extremely reasonable.


Just a few things off the list today but every one counts. I purchased two 8GB San Disks so I won't have to risk downloading the numerous photos I plan to take on the trip and touched base with Betsy who will plan to take her small video camera to augment my digital. Sorted out the special plugs for the electronic gadgets including a "strip" plug appropriate for Italian current.(Some countries have different configuration for plugs and Italy is one of those countries.) There's usually not many electrical outlets in the buildings in Europe so a strip should be very useful. I also used a magic marker to note on my cords/plugs and such for the ipad/camera connectors. One would think I could remember all those details but I'm taking no chances.


Knowing that I need to take all my prescription medications, I've checked the numbers of tablets and will order needed prescriptions tomorrow. It seems safer to take all the drugs I'll need during the seven weeks in the original prescription bottles. Original bottles also satisfies the airport carry-on regulations.


We're a mere two weeks until "lift off"! 



No comments:

Post a Comment